Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Abstraction when facing html/css problems  (Read 6639 times)
secuaz
Apprentice

Brians: 0

secuaz
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:48:50 AM »

Hi all, I am reading the section on problem abstraction and would like to know how to think of html/css problems from a highly abstract perspective.

When I am given a task I very quickly tend to start thinking about css properties.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Secuaz
Paul Vickers
Programmer Analyst

Brians: 42

Administrator

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:00:34 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Can you say a bit more about the kinds of task you are given? Are they programming tasks, or are they web page design tasks? CSS is a style sheet language used to describe the look and layout of a web page rather than for dealing with functional proprties like a programming language does. Much the same goes for HTML. That said, because HTML and CSS are structured syntaxes some of the same discipline that you would use in programming applies here.

So, can you give an example of the sort of problem you are thinking about?
secuaz
Apprentice

Brians: 0

secuaz
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »

The task doesn't involve programming, it's only css and html. It is about making one web page look like a reference one. This involves layouts, floating divs, adding percentages, modifying images etc.
I normally get to the answer eventually but by spending time tinkering until it looks how I want.

In the book i read there are three abstraction domains (Real world, algorithmic and computational), how could I think about a solution in html/css without getting in grips with the css and trial-error trials ?

I hope I disambiguated my question.

Thanks,

Secuaz
Paul Vickers
Programmer Analyst

Brians: 42

Administrator

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 12:07:36 PM »

This page has some tips on how to approach stylesheet abstraction: http://chriseppstein.github.io/blog/2009/09/20/why-stylesheet-abstraction-matters/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

About howtothinklikeaprogrammer.com
Terms of service | Privacy policy

Paul Vickers is a participant in the Amazon Europe S..r.l. Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.co.uk/Javari.co.uk.

How to think like a programmer: problem solving for the bewildered pdf
How to think like a programmer: program design solutions for the bewildered pdf